contact me

If you have any questions or would like to schedule a photo shoot, please email me at mapete77@comcast.net


Search This Blog

Friday, April 9, 2010

Siblings

When you are young, you don't appreciate the blessing of a sibling.  Growing up,  I would've sold my brother to the highest bidder on any given day.  2.5 years apart, my brother and I have never really had much in common.  When he was a baby, he was like a goat.  He would eat anything I gave to him.  Poor mom had to constantly be on the lookout at diaper changes for watch batteries, pennies etc.  Poor mom.  (I'm really sorry, mom)  Things didn't really improve as we got older, we were always looking for ways to torture each other (throwing items out the window on the highway, singing annoying songs (SEVEN LITTLE RABBITS WALKIN DOWN THE ROAD!!! hahaha). 

Something shifts as you get older and realize that ALL your memories of growing up are pretty much identical.  All the wierd shows mom would let us watch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBTrjZCyO94&feature=related), the yummy and unappetizing meals she prepared, sneaking cookie dough when mom and dad weren't looking.  And I think one of the greatest parts of growing up was that we lived in a house that was about 1,000 square feet.  We had no choice but to be together.  One TV, one bathroom (ohhhh that was tough), and dinners at the kitchen table in our tiny kitchen.  All this to say that my opinion of my brother changed somewhere between me starting a family and him starting his.  He's no longer the smelly, annoying, wear-the-same-clothes-every-day-of-the-week brother that I remember from my youth.  He's a decent guy with a family of his own who happens to be one of the few people who can make me laugh til I cry.  My siblings and I have a language that most people don't understand... Mostly lines from movies and inside jokes from YEARS ago.  (Remember when dancer puked on Emily???, you want some KWAFFFY?)

We have all grown to appreciate each other, support each other.  Encourage each other like no one else can.  I'm so glad we have each other.

The other night, our kids got together to tie-dye t-shirts.  We decided to make one to send to Em in Phoenix.  Nick didn't hesitate to take the SHIRT off his back to use.  He loves his sister.  Thought I would document it with this photo...