contact me

If you have any questions or would like to schedule a photo shoot, please email me at mapete77@comcast.net


Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

the month of LOVE!





I'm so excited to start this new month, I decided to celebrate. After lots of online searching, I came up with a cute idea for my kids Valentine's Day gifts for their classmates. I bundled Carter up and headed out to gather supplies that I would need. One of my last stops was to Meijer where I got to pick out the sweet treats that would be included in the bags. As I was waiting at the cash register, an elderly woman was struggling out of her motorized cart to finish her purchase. She quietly asked what the total would be, and the clerk said "Twenty-two fifty one". The woman said "Thats okay, I don't need to get the grapes, dear." The clerk set them on the cash register to restock later. Carefully, the woman pulled out her cash and counted her coins into the clerks hand. As she did, my heart began to pound and I knew that God had given me an opportunity to help bless this woman. After she completed her sale and before she walked away, I asked the clerk to please ring the grapes on my bill. The elderly woman turned and smiled, commenting on how yummy they looked, thinking I was buying them for myself. I handed her the bag and said "here, these are for you". She looked at me and tears started to fill her eyes and she told me no one had ever done anything like that for her before. Tears filled my eyes as I mumbled something about how I would hope that someone would do the same for my grandmother in the same situation.


The moral of the story? ITS SO EASY to make someones day. This opportunity couldn't have been easier to see. It cost me $1.86 to bless this woman and it was worth every penny. I'd like to challenge you to look for opportunities to love on the people around you. Pay attention. Put down your cell phone and watch. What better month to start than the one dedicated to LOVE??

3 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes. What a great way to start the day...to remember to love others as Christ would love them. A passage that has been coming up in my studies over and over is so appropriate here (kind of long but amazing):

    Is this not the fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter-when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? THEN your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; THEN your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. THEN you will call and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

    If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, THEN your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. Isaiah 58:lots of verses

    love ya! Joelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi friend! I just found your cute blog and added it to my reader! Excited to keep up with you even more so this way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way God works in and through us!!!

    What a true privilege it is to be His hands and feet in this world!!! Cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete